MARDI GRAS JAMBALAYA
1 onion, finely diced
1 red bell pepper, chop in large pieces
4 slices vegan bacon or vegan chorizo (I used vegan chorizo)
1 cup vegan chicken-style pieces
1 cup short grain brown rice
1 cup frozen peas
1 cup sweet corn (canned, fresh or frozen)
1 1/2 chopped tomatoes (fresh or frozen)
1 tsp tomato/vegetable puree
2 or 3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 red chili, finely chopped
1 Tbsp smoked paprika
1 tsp chili flakes
½ tsp blackstrap molasses
Tabasco sauce (as much or as little as you like)
Large handful of freshly chopped flat leaf parley
Olive oil (I used avocado oil)
Salt and pepper
1) Heat a little oil in a pan. Finely dice the onion and add to the pan along with some seasoning. Allow to soften for a few minutes. Mince the garlic and finely chop the chili and add to pan along with the chili flakes.
2) Cut the vegan bacon into chunks or if using vegan chorizo pieces, add to pan along with the paprika and cook until it starts to color.
3) Cut the pepper into large pieces, add to pan, season and allow to soften with the other ingredients.
4) Pour in the brown rice, give it a stir and then add the tomato puree and chopped tomatoes. Season, add the molasses and one cup of water. Shake a good amount of Tabasco sauce. Fill the cup with water and set aside you will need this water throughout.
5) Allow to gently simmer for 30 minutes before adding the frozen chicken-style pieces if using refrigerated pieces, they will take less time to cook. If it becomes too dry, add more water like you would do a risotto. Cook for a further 15 minutes or until the rice is fully cooked.
6) A few minutes before serving add the peas, sweet corn and allow them to gently cook before sprinkling in the parsley ensuring to reserve some for when you plate up. Season and/or add more Tabasco if necessary.
7) Serve in bowls and sprinkle with remaining parsley.
Healthy Lifestyle Center, 4300 N River Rd., Rogue River, Oregon
541-582-1262 – email@example.com – rrsda.com