By Sharon Witcombe
4 c. flour
1 tsp. salt
1 ½ cups cooled potato water
3 tbs. oil
Non-dairy cheese (optional)
Potato filling: cook potatoes in a kettle and mash. (Save extra potato water for dough.) Mix in onions that have been sautéed in oil. May also add non-dairy cheese (Daiya).
1. Mix dough ingredients until they form a ball. Roll out dough until it’s about the thickness of pie dough.
2. Cut out small circles with the top of a drinking glass
3. Put a spoonful of filling in the center, fold over so that the edges meet and crimp. (Dip fingers in flour so they don’t stick to edges.)
4. Place them on a board dusted with flour so that they don’t stick
5. Drop Perogies into boiling salted water and cook about 5-10 minutes.
6. Take Perogies out and drain.
7. May be stored in refrigerator in layers between plastic wrap.
8. Serve with gravy, sour cream, or sautéed onions.
Yields: Approximately 40-50 perogies