VEGETARIAN LOUISIANA-STYLE RED BEANS (From Internet)
1 (1-pound) package Camellia Brand Red Kidney Beans
1 (32-ounce) container no-sodium vegetable broth
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 large yellow onion, chopped
4 celery stalks, chopped
1 large green bell pepper, chopped
2 Tbsp oil (I use avocado oil)
3 bay leaves
2 tsp thyme
1 tsp oregano
½ tsp red pepper flakes
½ tsp ground black pepper
½ Tbsp hot sauce
2 tsp Liquid Smoke seasoning
Water as needed
Salt to taste
1) Rinse and sort beans (Optional: soak beans using your preferred method.)
2) Put the beans in a pot and cover them with vegetable broth. Set heaT to high.
3) In another pot or skillet, sauté the garlic, onion, celery, and bell pepper in oil until tender.
4) Add the sautéed vegetable mixture and remaining ingredient, except salt.
5) When the beans reach a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer. Simmer for 2-1/2 hours, stirring every 30 minutes. Add water to beans as needed.
6) When the beans are completely tender, add salt to taste. Remove bay leaves.
7) For a creamier texture, process half the beans in a food processor blender until smooth. Add processed mixture back to the pot.
8) Salt to taste and serve over cooked rice.
Healthy Lifestyle Center, 4300 N River Rd., Rogue River, Oregon
541-582-1262 – email@example.com – rrsda.com